Caffè Americano is nothing but espresso, only with the addition of water. How to make it at home? Follow our guide.
The traditional option is the use of Cezve. Unlike using a coffee maker, it takes longer. However, direct participation in the process gives the drink a special taste and fills the owner with a sense of pride in front of the guests.
You will need:
- 50 ml of purified water;
- 5 g of Arabica coffee or self-ground coffee beans;
- Boiled water 50 – 100 ml;
- Sugar (depending on taste preferences);
Since the basis for Caffè Americano is espresso, the algorithm of actions begins precisely with the preparation of this basis.
Step by Step Recipe
The sequence of actions is the main condition for the whole process.
- Slightly warm the cezve and add ground coffee.
- Add water.
- Wait for the foam to rise. Without removing from heat, stir until the foam is raised three times, but do not bring to a boil.
- Remove the cezve with espresso from the fire and let it settle thicker.
- Pour hot water into the cup without filling it to the brim. The more water in the cup, the weaker will be coffee.
- Then add espresso to the water.
The most important nuance in the preparation of Caffè Americano is the ability to not only brew espresso properly. It is important to add it to the water with a thin stream (coffee into the water, and not vice versa!). Such a sequence is a guarantee of preserving the foam and giving the drink a gentle and mild taste.